Translate

Saturday 22 March 2014

Are You Having A Bubble.


Last week I bought a large gammon ham, we've had the roast dinner, see post: famous, rich and hungry. I then made a hotch-potch pie, see post: two fat ladies. Now I have used the last of the gammon in todays recipe.

But before we go to the recipe I want to share a bit of my personality with you. My blog unlike many other food blogs will contain stories, photos of friends and the odd outburst or rant, which may seem peculiar and rather random if you literally want recipes! I hope this will all add to your enjoyment of 'Donna's pink kitchen' I know it wont be everyone's cup of tea, but for those of you who are joining me let's hope we have fun!

Something you should know about me is my love of wordplay, I love the use of spoonerisms, phonetic mix-ups, neologisms and I often go off on rhetorical excursions! For example: 'the world is your lobster' this used to drive my mother crazy, she corrected me every time! Deelipcious and perfy-lume are two of my favourites and over the years certain sayings have stuck. When my son Bert was small he called tin foil 'tin of oil.' The expression 'sky at night, shepards delight' became 'sky at night, turkish delight.'

I used to call crepes 'craps' until one day on a beach in Spain Bert loudly announced (having spotted a crepe bar) 'mummy I want a crap' the lesson learnt: you have to be careful with children when using word play!

The reason I'm telling you all of this (and it's not because I've been on the cooking sherry) is that my rhetorical excursions may sometimes find their way onto this page! It's not to be confused with bad diction which is so common nowadays. I was watching a programme recently where a woman quite obliviously said things like 'paux far' 'parting of the waves' she meant 'ways' and 'Hekyll and Jyde' people use expressions quite often not understanding them, a friend of mine relentlessly says:'for some unreason' when what he means is 'for some reason'.

To go with the leftover gammon I made some bubble and squeak which in honour of the lovely Michael Buble I call 'Buble and squeak'. It's a rather appropriate dish given that I've talked a lot about using up leftovers and surplus ingredients this week. Traditionally fried leftover veg from a Sunday roast would be eaten on a Monday and used to be on most housewives radar. There is no true recipe and mine is just an example, we had ours with gammon but for a meat free, economical dish 'Buble' is delicious served with fried or poached eggs and lashings of baked beans.

Bubble and squeak

Recipe
1 large cabbage, shredded
2 onions, sliced finely
5 large potatoes, peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed



Preheat oven 200c/gas mark 6
Place cabbage and onions in a large pan, cover with water and boil rapidly for 6 minutes
Drain and squeeze out excess water
Combine cabbage, onion and potato, seaon well


Dust your surface with flour and a handful at a time make a patty with your mixture


Lightly oil some greaseproof paper and line a roasting tray, place patties on tray


Bake for 10 minutes then turn patties over, cook for a further 10 minutes or until golden and hot right through

Gammon with a mayonnaise dressing

Recipe
The last of your leftover gammon, shredded
Mayonnaise
Fresh parsley
English mustard


Combine mayonnaise, mustard and chopped parsley, add the mustard to taste


Combine the shredded meat with the mayonnaise mixture, coating all the meat


Press the meat into a pastry cutter or pared down can to form a nice shape


Add cooked bubble and squeak and garnishes, I added chutney and chilli sauce


For the larger appetite add eggs and hollandaise sauce, basically the meal becomes a posh version of bacon, egg and chips.

'Here lie the bones of one 'Bun'
He was killed with a gun
His name was not 'Bun' but 'Wood'
But 'Wood' would not rhyme with gun
But 'Bun' would.'
-epitaph

Love Donna xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment