Translate

Wednesday 22 July 2015

English, A Foreign Language In London?

                              A stunning flamenco dancer performing at La Herradura Spain.

As many readers will already know, many years ago I worked in Fortnum and Mason and defied all protocol regarding celebrity customers by continuously ingratiating myself upon those I was particularly starstruck by.

I was only a snip of a girl and most of the celebrities were really kind and accommodating. I often snuck into the soda fountain where Adam Faith famously did all his business from the corner table, I was on first name terms with Adam and met many stars at his 'desk' including the gorgeous Terence Stamp, who gave me a lovely leaving card in which he wrote 'See you in Harrods' a sweet thing to do.

Now I see that Stamp has caused a bit of a furore by lamenting what he seems to think is a lack of integration among some immigrants. In a provocative outburst Stamp has said: 'It is very sad how few English people there are in London now, you can barely get by speaking our own language. It's changed so much in such a short space of time, that God knows what London will be like in another decade or so. I do think a multicultural society can be a good thing, but when it's at the cost of your own culture and history, then it's gone too far and it would be very sad if London stopped being predominantly English.'

No doubt Stamp's comments will incur the wrath of the politically correct, heaven forfend anyone who makes claims regarding our history or culture, patriotism is so passe darling! But having lived and worked in London 30 odd years ago, I too lament the drastic changes to our capital city.

Fiercely protective of their heritage, I have come to admire the Spanish people I now share periods of my life with. There was a mass exodus of Brits to Spain during the mid-nineties, but did they drop their traditions, religions, heritage and culture like a sack of hot potatoes just to accommodate us? You bet your life they didn't. Most Brits, as with many immigrants, tended to flock together in British enclaves, urbanisations were built for foreigners and were cut off from real local life.

When buying in Spain, my partner and I wanted to integrate with our local Spanish community, we have always observed and respected their culture, we didn't hanker after karaoke nights or John Smiths on tap, we didn't expect to eat Fish and Chips or McDonald's, in fact, as readers will know, I ceased being a vegetarian because it was impossible to go to a Spanish restaurant or a neighbours home to eat without offending someone with my dietary requirements, as they say: 'when in Rome.'

When my grandfather moved to England from his small village in Italy, he was like a lost sheep, but he soon found an area in london's Waterloo that he referred to as 'little Italy' he bought his restaurant there and as a child I remember the strong Italian community surrounding my grandparents. Within a couple of miles radius of St Patrick's Catholic Church, my grandfather, aunt Mary and uncle Chic all had Italian restaurants.

                                 The Italian side of the family to the right of my mother.

It was a case of never the twain shall meet between my culturally different English (on my fathers side) and Italian relatives. Although everyone rubbed along there was still an element of people sticking to their own.

Terence Stamp laments: 'I see these mums wandering around with their prams and four out of five of them have these scarves wrapped around their heads, I feel it's not like London anymore.'

For a Christian country that boasts feminism and gay rights, the hijab is an alien concept for many people. There are now calls from the government that Muslims in Britain must feel and act more British, most of the 2.7 million Muslims living here are British citizens and it has been recognised that we all need to promote a much stronger sense of a British identity so as to undermine hardline Islamism, which has no place in a Christian country, and prevent segregation and social division.

We only need to look at how, of the 760,000 Britons who moved to Spain, mostly segregating themselves in their plastic paradises, 90,000 expats returned to Britain in the past year alone. Multiculturalism doesn't work without an understanding and acceptance of peoples backgrounds and cultures and a willingness to embrace the country you choose to call home.

Personally, being half Italian and living in Spain for several weeks of the year, I am in favour of multiculturalism, however, I agree with Stamp that we should hold dear our culture and history and retain our identity in our own country, and like the Spaniards, be proud of our nationality and never succumb to intimidation.

One of my favourite restaurants In Spain is La Herradura, a beautiful building swamped in history, dating back to the early 1880's it is representative of traditional Spanish architecture. The flamenco dancing, singing and guitar is a fusion of contemporary and traditional and is truly captivating, it makes me feel the true Andulusian flamenco running through my veins. The food is traditional and I recently had roasted quail which is a lovely fine, soft meat which soaks up seasonings for a delicious aromatic roast.

Roasted quail

Recipe
4 whole quails
1 small lemon, cut into quarters
4 cloves of garlic, bruised
1 sprig of fresh thyme, leaves picked
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
A splash of white wine
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven 200c/gas mark 6
Spread butter over quails


Divide herbs, lemon and garlic among the cavities of the quails
Season, add wine and place in the oven, roast for 35 minutes
Remove from oven and rest for 10 minutes


Serve quails with juices, fresh vegetables and roasted potatoes.

'The deal with multiculturalism is that the only culture you're allowed to disapprove of is your own.'
- Martin Amis.

Love Donna xxxxxxxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment