Translate

Monday 21 July 2014

Sophie Thompson Celebrity Masterchef 2014

                                        Barbecue lunch at Sinah Warren holiday camp

We have had a good week weather wise here in the south of England whoo hoo, I mean literally several days of uninterrupted sunshine, (although we did have a mad thunder storm on Thursday night.) I spent another glorious day at Sinah Warren holiday camp with my friend Linda (see post - The great British holiday camp) and as well as the beautiful surroundings and the lovely cool water of the pool, we had a fantastic live singer and lunchtime barbecue.

                                                                Live entertainment

                                                                Hotdogs anyone?

                                                               Taking a dip

This week also saw the semi final and final of celebrity masterchef which I have been following avidly. The semi final was hilarious and had me crying with laughter, Wayne Sleep, love him, managed to produce the worst meal the critic's had ever tasted yet he minced about in the kitchen seemingly oblivious, pulling the funniest of faces to the cameras. Obviously he went leaving Jodie Kidd, Sophie Thompson and Charley Boorman fighting it out in the final. For my money there was a very clear winner and that was Sophie, of course I was slightly biased because I love her quirky personality and her strange laugh, throughout the series she exuded loveliness and I want her as my friend.

Hurrah hurrah Sophie Thompson was the winner. On being handed the trophy (a large M) she said 'It's awesome, honestly, it's mad. It's M for mad.. the whole thing's been mad!'

Both John Torrode and Gregg Wallace conceded that Sophie's food was original and individual just like her and that her creations were like little stories on a plate. I loved that her food wasn't fancy pants food that you might find in a Michelin star restaurant, but that it was very imaginative and creative as if Sophie had no fear of food, she even commented that displaying her trophy in her kitchen might see her hoisted by her own petard next time she serves up something a bit naff 'which I will' she said.

I love to experiment in the kitchen and my dishes tend to be quite spontaneous, like Sophie I have no fear of food and I'll settle for a few naff dishes in the name of experimentation. Yesterday, as is typical in my house, Bert arrived home with several members of his football team who all wanted a quick bite. I decided to rustle up some hotdogs with some grilled vegetables and creamed sweetcorn. A quick Google search came up with some quite convoluted recipes for creamed sweetcorn, melted butter, cream, sugar all cooked in a pan with sweetcorn which then had to be blended....... I decided to try blending sweetcorn with ice cream (cream and sugar) and by jove it worked! I baked a camembert cheese which when cooked (in 10 minutes) became a lovely fondue, I mixed this with some grilled veg and topped my sausages with the mixture. A quick, easy, economical meal which satisfied half a football team, that can't be bad.

Creamed sweetcorn

Recipe
1 tin sweetcorn or 1 large cup of frozen sweetcorn
1 tablespoon of vanilla ice cream




Simply blend the sweetcorn and ice cream to a smooth consistency
Warm through in a pan and season to taste

Grilled vegetables

Slice onions, halve cherry tomatoes and use garlic cloves, skin intact
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and grill




Camembert with garlic

Recipe
1 whole camembert
3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced wafer thin
Olive oil



Make several slits in the cheese and slide garlic slices in, drizzle with olive oil
Repackage cheese into box and bake in a moderate oven for 10 minutes
Remove from oven and carefully pour into bowl
You can stir the grilled vegetables through the cheese before topping your sausages


The cheesy mix is also delicious served on toast.

'I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself well, that's not going to happen.'
- Rita Rudner

Love Donna xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment