Translate

Wednesday 23 July 2014

Cooking For Friends

                                                        Clarrie and I being bubbled

As I have said on several occasions, I have had a lot of support from many of my friends regarding this blog. Quite frankly I am thrilled that so many of my friends read and participate (in various ways) even if it's just that they've read a post.

My friend Clarrie reads my posts regularly and both she and her partner Jas have tried a few recipes of mine, both are good home cooks........

                                                      A Jas speciality: Shepherds pie

I tend to think about my audience when cooking a dish, of course I can only imagine who half of you are, but my audience seems quite consistent so I'm guessing my everyday food is appealing to you all. Unfortunately, Clarrie and tomato based dishes don't mix well (I won't go into the finer details) but that made me question whether many other people have an intolerance. Having done a little research it transpires the main difference between an allergy and an intolerance to tomatoes is that an allergy will cause symptoms outside the digestive tract.

Either way, if you can't tolerate tomatoes that does narrow things down quite a bit and I've become rather fixated on finding recipes which exclude tomatoes. By recipes I mean mostly of the one pot variety: chilli, stews and ragu are commonly tomato based, so I've been looking for alternative ingredients.

I came across a recipe in my slow cooker cookbook called beefy onion supper, the cookbook is 'dedicated with gratitude and respect to all cooks who bring families to the table for home cooked meals.' It contains very simple recipes written on no more than one page per recipe, in black and white, with no photos included. There are no suggestions as to what to serve the beefy onion supper with, as it happened it made for a very good ragu which I served with pasta.......and guess what.......no tomatoes!

Beefy onion supper

Recipe
500g organic diced beef
1 onion
1 can French onion soup
2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
300g stock



In a slow cooker, place beef pieces and top with mushrooms and onion


Pour soup and stock over ingredients
Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours


I cooked my pasta, drained it and added to my slow cooker for the last 15 minutes of cooking time so that it became sticky and delicious


I grated extra mature cheese on top.......utterly delicious

'There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves, it is not my nature.'
-Jane Austen

Hope you like this Clarrie.........and everyone else!
Love Donna xxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment