Translate

Wednesday 11 May 2016

The Invictus Choir.


From a very early age through to my early thirties I attended the National Service of Remembrance at the Cenotaph each year with my father. As the veterans marched, or were wheeled past, the crowd would cheer, cry and clap, we weren't glorifying war, we were ensuring that these veterans weren't forgotten, we were honouring those that had suffered or died for our liberty. What I learnt from the experience was humility, respect and a deep understanding of how privileged I was to have freedom from tyranny.

Yet in an inexcusable betrayal of Britain's brave servicemen and women who risked their lives for our country, an estimated 5,000 veterans are currently forced to live, abandoned and forgotten on the streets, while many of us across the country sit warm and dry in our cosy homes.

Last night I watched the first episode of The Invictus choir. Choirmaster Gareth Malone has turned his musical hand to wounded or sick ex-servicemen and women to create the choir, these former British soldiers will perform at this years Invictus games, an international Paralympic-style multi-sport event created by Prince Harry.

The heroes chosen for the choir have a common bond, they have served their country and carry their scars both visible and invisible. No longer fit for army purpose they have mostly suffered in silence whilst trying to redefine their lives. Rifleman Paul Jacobs was left blinded after being blown up aged just 21. lieutenant Colonel Stewart suffered a traumatic brain injury, he said: 'I went from commanding 160 men to struggling to command myself.' Two ex service women in the choir suffered from severe post traumatic stress, one was angry because she felt so abandoned, as she pointed out, veterans with mental health problems are often an untold story.

Being in the Invictus Choir has inspired these injured and traumatised service veterans and given them back their pride. I was long ago taught the phrase "Lest we forget" a plea not to forget the sacrifices our war heroes made for us in the past. I hope The Invictus Choir will be a reminder of the gross miscarriage of justice for all our heroes if we don't continue to remember and support them.

                                                     The inspirational Invictus Choir

After attending the Service of Rememberance, particularly as a young child when November was invariably very cold and frosty, we would hasten home to one of my mother's warming Sunday roast dinners. The Sunday roast was very traditional in our house, however, occasionally my mother would make a large lasagne instead. Most of us love lasagne but the preparation is quite time consuming, therefore I often make a simplified version, it's certainly not lasagne but it is a very scrumptious alternative.

Easy pasta bake


Brown 500g of good quality beef mince in a large frying pan
Combine 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes, 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar and a glass of red wine in a bowl,
Add 2-3 crushed garlic cloves to the browned mince, 1 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and stir, add the tomato sauce, bring to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. I always add a piece of Parmesan cheese (a tip I learnt from my mother) it adds delicious flavour as it melts into the sauce
Cook a packet of pasta (I like shells as the meat sauce fills them making each one a juicy bite) until al dente and drain
Preheat oven 180c/gas mark 4
Spoon pasta into a large ovenproof dish, add meat sauce


Cover with grated or shaved mature Cheddar, cook in the middle shelf of the oven for 30 minutes


Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, serve with a big green salad

'I know, I was there. I saw the great void in your soul and you saw mine.'
- Sebastian Faulks.

Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember, somewhere out there, a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer, was I worth dying for?
- Eleanor Roosevelt.

Love Donna xxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment