Translate

Friday 15 April 2016

Fish Friday.

                                       Traditional fish and chips which we ate on Good Friday

As usual, we spent the Easter holidays in Spain and even after all these years the Good Friday procession never fails to move me, it is an exquisite and rich display of religious sculpture and an emotional coming together of the community who pay homage to Christ.

                                                   The villagers carrying the throne.

                       Some of the villagers wear the penitential robe, the Nazareno.

The procession is accompanied by emotional music played by the village band, whilst the children, dressed in their robes, hand out sweets to bystanders


Although Jacarilla only occupies a small area, the weight of the religious sculptures means the procession takes a couple of hours, once outside the church the villagers join the procession as it makes its way around the village. 

The women of the village dress in traditional costume. The sculpture is of 'our Lady'

After the procession, the small bars and cafés are open and people gather for drinks, cake and mona bread which is traditionally eaten on Good Friday. 

  A kind neighbour delivered a freshly baked mona (or mouna) bread to my door.

Because Christ sacrificed his flesh on Good Friday, Catholics (and many Christians) abstain from eating meat on this day and eat fish instead. In the UK we traditionally ate fish and chips on Good Friday, although this tradition has largely died out. As a child, I loved Good Friday because we always had hot cross buns for breakfast and fish and chips from the chippy for tea which didn't feel at all sacrificial.

I have always kept with the tradition of eating fish and chips on Good Friday, although when in Spain we have to visit an English fish and chip restaurant in a nearby town. Of course I suppose I should eat fish the Spanish way, when in Rome and all that, but this is one occasion when the draw of freshly cooked, piping hot, battered fish and chips, smothered in salt and soused in vinegar, is too great to resist, and to be fair it is tradition. 

That's not to say I don't embrace all things Spanish ordinarily, I even gave up vegetarianism because it was so alien to my fellow Spainards. Fortunately for me, fish and seafood feature heavily in the Spanish diet and it is not unusual for the waiter to bring the whole fresh fish to the table for approval before cooking. 


                                          Our lovely waiter at Restaurante La Tropical. 

Due to the fact I have acquired a taste for a variety of fresh fish and seafood, I find our repertoire for fish in the UK rather disappointing. Even at some of the best restaurants I find that the seafood and fish dishes on offer are rather uninspiring. Local fishmongers, once so popular, are a dying trade and major supermarkets claim there is a lack of demand for anything more exotic than cod, salmon or fish fingers. 

Fried fish and chips and prawn cocktail seem to be our firm favourites here in the UK and whilst I love my Good Friday treat, I'm not so keen on the bland versions of prawn cocktail I've tasted over the years (my Italian version is delicious!) However, my next recipe is very delicious and if you like prawn cocktail, you like prawns.... right? 

I want to quickly talk about spices. I'm loathe to say in any of my recipes: 'a teaspoon of cumin seeds, a teaspoon of turmeric' etc etc. I'm often put off by recipes because I don't have a certain spice and therefore don't know if it will ruin the dish? Jars of spices are widely available now in all supermarkets and shop's own brands are normally less than 50p a jar. Personally I think it's worth getting to know your spices and understanding that the word 'spice' doesn't equate to 'hot.' Spices are flavours which can be used in all sorts of recipes, much as you would use salt and pepper. You can buy ready made pastes, such as Pataks, however, in the long run it's cheaper to make your own pastes using the spices you prefer. 

Prawns....but it's not cocktail

Blend your chosen spices with a little olive oil. I used ginger, which gives a nice kick of heat. Cumin, which is nutty and peppery. Cardamom, which has a sweet, almost perfumed aroma. Cinnamon, which is sweet and warming (I use a whole stick which I discard at the end of cooking.) And turmeric, to add colour and an earthy flavour, (turmeric has long been lauded for its health benefits and is used medicinally for its anti-inflammatory properties.)


                                                Blend spices with a little olive oil


                                                         Combine with raw prawns


In a pan, fry 2 onions until slightly charred, add a tin of chopped tomatoes and 2 cinnamon sticks, simmer for 15 minutes


Oil some flat breads and place them directly over a hob, they will immediately puff and rise, just be careful they don't burn. Set aside

Add prawns to pan and simmer for 5 minutes


                               Serve prawns and flat breads onto warm plates and tuck in.

'Learn how to spice up your basic recipes - a pinch here and there - and don't be afraid. 'Spicy' doesn't necessarily mean 'hot': spices are also sweet, warm and pungent, they will add colour, drama and excitement to your everyday cooking.'
- Cyrus Todiwala.

Love Donna xxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment