Translate

Friday 24 October 2014

A Hidden Jewel

                                               John Miller, owner of The Woodmancote pub

You know by now one of my greatest bugbears is corporate chain pubs. I dislike the impersonal touch and service with a scowl, and don't get me started on their vast menu's of microwaved fodder!

Sadly here in Britain we are witnessing the gradual decay of our former drinking houses, despite their longstanding history as a British institution. One such pub which nearly suffered the fate of demolition is The Woodmancote pub, situated between Emsworth and Chichester. Fortunately John Miller and Jim Pagent came to its rescue and bought the freehold in 2012.

John and his partner Jim were enjoying a very successful career in Spain running restaurants, upon returning to England for a holiday they decided this 'hidden jewel' of a pub deserved rescuing. What happened next was nothing short of a Cinderella story. The pub underwent a total refurbishment and now houses a snug, a zoo, a restaurant and a bar, replete with quirky objects d'art, convivial staff and a stunning menu of home cooked food.







I had arranged to meet manager Melody as I had been commissioned to write an article for a local paper. When I arrived at midday the pub was already filling up, Melody showed me around and then we spoke about the good quality local produce that the chefs use on a daily basis for their menu. I then got chatting to regulars Gloria and Malcom who love the pubs transformation and waxed lyrical about the delicious home cooked food and gregarious owners John and Jim. 

                                                     Regulars, Gloria and Malcom

I didn't have to wait long to meet John who sashayed in bemoaning he looked a 'mess darling.' What I loved about John was his philosophy, he says: 'The pub is like one's home. Thats how you run a successful pub, you welcome your guests as if they were walking into your home.'

                                  John giving me a very warm welcome in his queens' chair

I was hard pushed as to what to order to eat, homemade double crust steak and ale pie? Treagust sausages and Woodies ale and onion gravy? A traditional ploughman's? In the end I opted for a 'lite bite' (dont be fooled, this was a very generous sandwich!) A hand carved gammon ham sandwich on delicious bread, with hand cut chips and salad. Whilst eating I noticed customers were buying food to take home, homemade raised pork pies, sausage rolls and cakes were flying out the door!








After eating my thoroughly delicious lunch I asked John if it was ok to take a few photos, there are certainly lots of fun and quirky things dotted around......

                                                    A sculpture with a difference!

         

 
When my bill arrived it was presented in a dancing shoe in true theatrical style

  
 Orwell wrote: 'Everyone is equal in front of the bar, regardless of age or sex. The pub is a place of serenity, a haven for thought and conversation.' Beer writer Pete Brown found when researching for a piece about community pubs that the decline in once - proud boozers was invariably down to publicans who don't understand the business or - more often than not - publicans who just don't understand people. Without doubt, John and Jim know their business and I would like to thank them for inviting me into their 'home.'

'There is nothing which has been yet contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn.'
- Samuel Johnson

Love Donna xxxxxx

                              

1 comment:

  1. Donna. This is an anonymous comment :)

    Howard

    ReplyDelete